Does mealtime often get taken over by the nutrition villains (tons of calories, loads of saturated fat, and excess sodium)? Take back the dinner hour: We’ve created a week’s worth of great-tasting meals with real nutritional punch. Each one is under 500 calories—wham! High in filling fiber—bam! Low in saturated fat—pow! Not to mention, each recipe puts a premium on antioxidant-rich produce—with two veggies, plus herbs and spices to boost flavor (but not calories). Try one of these supercharged dinners tonight for a leaner, healthier you.
1. Barley-Stuffed Poblanos
• Eat this and you get more than one-third of your daily fiber.
• Your metabolism will get a kick from the chili powder.
• The dish also delivers about 30 percent of your calcium for the day.
Ingredients: olive oil, onion, barley, kale, chili powder, garlic, tomatoes, salt, poblano peppers, white cheddar, Monterrey Jack cheese and queso fresco
2. Burger With Mushrooms and Radicchio
• The lean beef provides more than half your protein and nearly 30 percent of your iron for the day.
• You’ll feel satisfied, thanks to that protein and 7 grams of fiber.
• Shiitake and other mushrooms are rich in antioxidants and help reduce cholesterol.
Ingredients: olive oil, mushrooms, salt, pepper, ground sirloin, whole-wheat hamburger buns and small head radicchio